As we grow older and wiser, we begin to realize we need to take better care of our health. No more starving ourselves to fit in that new outfit, no more fad diets that are clearly unhealthy, and no working out until we nearly pass out. If you really want to lose weight and stay healthy, you are going to have to develop better eating habits and to be more active on a regular basis. Here are some easy tips to help you lose weight the healthy way.
- Drink lots of water. Drinking water will keep you hydrated, helps with digestion, and flushes out toxins from your body.
- Change your bread and pasta from white to wheat. Wheat is much healthier and rich in fiber.
- Make sure to have three meals per day. Your body needs a certain amount of calories each day (depending on body weight). Not eating enough will only slow down your metabolism, which will make it harder for you to lose weight.
- Eat smaller portion size. Eating smaller portions will help you cut down on how many calories you are eating each day.
- Eat foods from the four food groups: Fruits and Vegetables, Bread or Grains, Lean Meats or Proteins, and Dairy. It is better to have well-balanced meals so that you are not cheating your body out of the necessary nutrients it needs.
- Eliminate or limit the amount of processed foods, foods with refined sugar, and empty calories. Foods like bacon, cookies, soda, doughnuts, and sausages have no nutritional value and are high in calories, fat, and sugar. Although processed foods may taste good, they are not good for your overall health.
- Do not resort to fad diets and unhealthy fasting. Trying to lose weight quickly could make you resort to using unhealthy methods. Losing weight the unhealthy way will give you short-term results. In most cases, people gain all the weight back. Your ultimate goal is to have long-lasting results and maintain your ideal weight. There is nothing wrong with a gradual progression to your weight loss.
- Do not look at the scale every day. I cannot stress enough how bad it is to look at the scale every day. Looking at the scale each day can sabotage your weight loss results. Pay attention to the changes in your body and how your clothes are starting to fit.
- Do not compare yourself to other people. There could be many reasons why someone else may be getting better results. Just focus on your own results. If you keep doing regular exercise and eating right, you will start to see your hard work pay off.
- Exercise at least 30 minutes to an hour. The human body was not meant to sit all day, keep active. Go on regular walks, ride a bike, take a few dance classes, or join a gym. The times per week depends on if you are just getting started or just maintaining. Try to find exercises that are fun. You will be more likely to continue exercising if you like what you are doing.
“If we could give every individual the right amount of nourishment and exercise, not too little and not too much, we would have found the safest way to health. ” ~Hippocrates